A warm, inviting front porch welcomes guests, increases the value of your home, and provides enjoyable outdoor living space. Here are five easy and affordable ways to decorate your porch for added curb appeal:
- Lighting – Remove builder-grade or outdated fixtures and replace them with high quality, energy-efficient light fixtures. Choose a style and finish that will complement the color and architecture of your home. Exterior garage lights should also be replaced for a cohesive look. White string lights and flameless outdoor candle lanterns are a great way to add ambience and warmth to your porch in the evening.
- Hardware – Replace outdated, mismatched or diminutive door handles, knockers, kick plates, chimes, letter boxes and house numbers. Again, choose a style and finish that will complement the color and architecture of your home.
- Color – Paint your front door an eye-catching color. Then accessorize your porch with items that will complement that color. Accessories can include an umbrella stand, boot tray, welcome mat, outdoor rug, flower pots and toss pillows.
- Furniture – Add seating to your front porch. Benches, chairs, rockers and swings provide a place to remove wet shoes, relax with a drink, and chat with neighbors passing by.
- Flowers/Greenery – Potted plants and hanging baskets are a great way to add scent, color, and interest to your porch. Mix in varieties that will attract butterflies and hummingbirds for viewing pleasure.
A welcoming home begins at the front porch. Whether you have a simple stoop or sprawling wraparound veranda, a beautifully decorated porch becomes an extension of the main house and provides a place for family members to relax and enjoy themselves or entertain guests.
Randi Wilson is a Certified Interior Decorator and owner of Wilson Interiors, LLC. She can be reached by phone at (707) 616-4687, or by email at email@example.com. Photos of her projects can be viewed at www.facebook.com/RandiWilsonInteriors.